Questions for the Developers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ph3lan #1 Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:40 AM

Community Manager

• WG Staff

Hey guys!

Our developers are hard at work creating new features and hammering out the bugs in Master of Orion, but they are always happy to take some time off to answer your question. If you have anything you want to ask them, this is the time and place to do it :) We will be selecting the best/most interesting questions and forward them to the Devs. 

- Ph3lan 

BraggiMoO #2 Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Hi Ph3lan,

this is probably not what you want, because it is procedural:

better communication about the EA progress would be most welcome. Currently this is a one way process, where they get condensed and filtered feedback. We get another version, eventually.

What are their top priorities for the current patch, high level?

Would they consider some "most wanted" changes per update? Priorities are hard to get right; what looks like a minor bug or a matter of taste might be a major issue for a hard player (e.g. sorting of lists).

BraggiMoO #3 Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

I find this is difficult, most design questions open a can of worms.

Can they give us their concise game vision without marketing buzzwords?

"Revive the classic 4X reference" is nice but vague. Most old players couldn't agree on what made MoO 2 great.

For me the long term appeal derived from the game's sandbox character. So many different strategies leading to completely divergent gameplay.

From a WG Labs presentation I heard this year, this was intentionally 'dumbed down' after market research, to unlock most of the content in the first game (e.g. tech tree).

Grand_Moff_Luca_Paguro #4 Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Ensign

• Players
Can we expect more races, such as those from the original Master of Orion games, in Master of Orion? And will we be able to get galaxies with well over 200 star systems for those with stronger PC's?

Mikko_M #5 Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

- When will you add tactical battle and custom race options to the multiplayer? ​As without them almost half the game is missing in multiplayer and it doesn`t really offer anything new and interesting to the genre either. Also take a look at this poll:

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/1028-will-you-play-multiplayer-games-without-tactical-combat/

- When can we control individual weapon systems and board enemy ships in tactical combat? ​One of the main reasons that made Master of Orion 1 and 2 so popular was their great combination of great player controllable tactical battles and empire management. So far this game is still lacking in the tactical combat department when compared to those games, so more player options would be greatly appreciated. Also keep in mind that just doing good empire management won`t be enough to make this game something special as space 4X games like Stellaris and the GalCiv series already do great empire management.

- When will you add more personality to the races, so that they each have their own set of strengths and weaknesses? Currently many of the races feel rather similar and therefore quite uninteresting?

- When will you make the tech game actually interesting by presenting the player options instead of just giving every player every tech every game? ​See Andruski`s great tech idea for tips on how to do that:

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/1233-lets-talk-about-tech/

Edited by Mikko_M, 15 June 2016 - 05:26 PM.

Anthony_Skinner #6 Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Hi Devs, 

This is my question, "At the beginning of the process you talked about your vision for a simplified recreation of the MOO franchise, which was necessary based on your personal observations of the vast decrease in free time the average MOO player would have available to them these days and the impatience of modern day gamers who have a huge amount of choice. Since this project began another competing game, remaining nameless! ahem, launched on almost the exact opposite trajectory, incorporating unrivaled complexity in the space 4X genre. That game has been well received by a huge player base, over 50,000 in game at one point and very positive reviews, putting it into the Steam top10. In light of this unexpected demand for a highly complex space game, is your thinking now leaning back towards revisiting some of the features stripped out so far in this version of MOO, in particular the ship combat and to a lesser extent the research tree? , or , do you stand by your original premise and expect that in the long run your vision will prove to be the most popular? "

"For the Hive!"

jrepin #7 Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Ensign

• Players
What's the status of the bug which prevents starting the game on Linux? See: Loading stops on main screen and no main menu is shown

BraggiMoO #8 Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Forget features for a moment.

Game Balance:

By the developers' estimate, in what state do they think the game is currently?

Which steps do they plan to improve the game, which information do they need?

nathanebht #9 Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

Ensign

• Players

There is a GeneralDirection dev account posting stuff on the game's Steam forum. On Jun 7th, they posted that balance and AI refinements are a big focus for EA 5. Also, that its little too early to say more "since the dev team is finishing their review of EA 4 feedback and deciding on next steps."

Please provide examples of some of the most useful feedback which came in from EA 4.

Telling us what was useful feedback should help produce more like it in the future.

jrepin #10 Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

Ensign

• Players
So... where can we find the answers?

Stereoscope #11 Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Ensign

• Players

I want to do a long Let's Play on youtube.  Am I going to get a strike/warning from you if I do?  What about the music of the game? 

Thanks.

Carb1de #12 Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

Community Prod Spec

• WG Staff

View Posttrusteft, on 30 August 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

I want to do a long Let's Play on youtube.  Am I going to get a strike/warning from you if I do?  What about the music of the game? 

Thanks.

You will not get struck if you do it. But do share the videos once you begin :)

Quakiquixen #13 Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

Ensign

• Players
Hi, this might sound stupid but, why don't you make a phone/tablet (Android) version of Master of Orion? I would buy that for sure! I can't get enough of Master of Orion and would so want to be able to play it on my phone

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users