Custom race creation issue

bug balance custom race

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

PatPatrik #1 Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

Pre-created race have points advantage before custom race.

Klackons example - they race traits:

Homeworld minerals: poor (-30)

Uber planet: cavernous (20)

Food from population: +50% (70)

Production from population: +25% (30)

Starting tech: biology (30)

it's 120 points (20+70+30+30-30=120) instead of 100. So Klackons have 20 "bonus" points, which player, who chose to create Custom race doesn't have. 

In other words - you can't create custom race with same traits as Klackons, cause there is not enough points (see screenshot one). You can't select starting tech because of it.

Just in case i checked Terrans - same problem, but instead 20 bonus  points they have "only" 15 (screenshot 2).

So at this moment, player who choose Custom race gets worst starting conditions, than player, who choose pre-created races.

Attached Files

• Attached File   Klackons_1.jpg   60.68K
  • Attached File   terrans_1.jpg   59.19K

Edited by PatPatrik, 07 April 2016 - 07:28 PM.

Anthony_Skinner #2 Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

hmmm, might that be as custom race can currently choose spying penalties when they do not affect the game, so overall it is balanced?

But then I am thinking that is probably the right choice as the races have abilities suited to their ethos rather than a cool combination to promote a certain strategy, chances are if they have the same pool of points then no one would play a non-customised race? Just a thought, but I could be wrong. 

"For the Hive!"

PatPatrik #3 Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostAnthony_Skinner, on 07 April 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

hmmm, might that be as custom race can currently choose spying penalties when they do not affect the game, so overall it is balanced?

But then I am thinking that is probably the right choice as the races have abilities suited to their ethos rather than a cool combination to promote a certain strategy, chances are if they have the same pool of points then no one would play a non-customised race? Just a thought, but I could be wrong. 

Well, new players will always choose one of the default races, and experienced players- more likely custom one. And this is the way Master of Orion always worked. This situation does not required additional bonuses and penalties.

BTW i just wanted to play the vanilla Klackons with Uber Inferno planet, instead of Cavernous, when i discover this points shortage :) 

And if we look back at MoO2 - creation of custom race was absolutely fair:

Silicoids - 20 points of bonuses, 10 points of penalties = 10 "clear" points (Tolerant +10, Lithovore +10 / -50% Pop. growth -4, Repulsive -6)

Klackon - 14 points of bonuses, 4 points of penalties  = 10 "clear" points (Unification +6,  Food bonus +4,  Production bonus +3, Large hw +1 / Uncreative -4)

Edited by PatPatrik, 08 April 2016 - 09:18 AM.

Anthony_Skinner #4 Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostPatPatrik, on 08 April 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

Well, new players will always choose one of the default races, and experienced players- more likely custom one. And this is the way Master of Orion always worked. This situation does not required additional bonuses and penalties.

BTW i just wanted to play the vanilla Klackons with Uber Inferno planet, instead of Cavernous, when i discover this points shortage :) 

And if we look back at MoO2 - creation of custom race was absolutely fair:

Silicoids - 20 points of bonuses, 10 points of penalties = 10 "clear" points (Tolerant +10, Lithovore +10 / -50% Pop. growth -4, Repulsive -6)

Klackon - 14 points of bonuses, 4 points of penalties  = 10 "clear" points (Unification +6,  Food bonus +4,  Production bonus +3, Large hw +1 / Uncreative -4)

Oh yes, I completely agree, when you start out picking a generic race you like the look of is the way, then when you understand the game more, making your own race is optimal. Perhaps they have decided that being able to customise the options is in itself a bonus, so you get less points?  We will probably find out in the next update :-)

I usually went with a modified Klackon in MOO2 (taking away the uncreative penalty for some other penalties, like beam attack and then used missiles)

I was thinking in the age of modding, that they could make it so you can upload your own race images, diplomacy setting and ship graphics, but that is maybe far in the future. 

"For the Hive!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users