Population

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ottonl #1 Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

Ensign

• Players

How does population growth work ?

Is there a way to boost it, or is it automated ?

Lexelas #2 Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Ensign

• Players

It works like food in civilization series. There is a fixed number of food units required to create new colonist (for example 40 food units for population size x, 80 food units for population size y etc).

In MOO2 growth formula was unrelated to food consumption. Food was only affecting growth when there wasn't enough food to feed everyone. There were many factors and strategies to maximize growth and productivity of empire like famous 1 population housing colonies, moving people around to produce biggest possible natural growth, cloning center everywhere, gaia planets feeding whole empire etc. In new moo all of this was removed. Now food IS population growth. More +food bonuses = population growing faster.

ps. It is sad that new MOO is such a simple game. It's like a backward evolution. From complex, genre defining game to more primitive, soon to be forgotten, form.

Edited by Lexelas, 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM.

cbrausen #3 Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

Ensign

• Players

Unfortunately I  have to agree!

The game feels dumbed down and empty, nothing happens - the AI opponents are not attacking you at all.

It is only fitting that you can't change the difficulty level at the moment.

regards,

CB

ottonl #4 Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Ensign

• Players

Now i've gotten further into the game, it seems that the only thing important is to get as many worlds ( production capacity ) as fast as you can.

Ai is not too bright and diplomacy near to impossible.

I hoped for a game with much more depth, to be honest , disappointing.

gurocat #5 Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

Ensign

• Players

I really like this change. It elegantly simplifies a bunch of micromanagement, and turns farmers from being little more than a source of cash to being more equal among the pops. The "depth" you guys are remembering was a PITA.

And yes the unfinished game we're playing is unfinished. Great observation.

replica8 #6 Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:27 PM

Ensign

• Players

Most ppl only wanted to have Mo2 back with better graphics. Just keep playing it. Here you have to be open for something new. If you give it a try you will have so many nostalgic feelings while playing. It's really nice. AND managing the population isn't really less complex. The key aspects are just different. The need of freithers is gone and ppl don't starve but you have to care more about pollution and getting population growth. Also Spying and more isn't implemented yet.

After 1 full game I really have to say, that I love it so far. And there is so much more technology I have to discover.

But I have a few suggestions:

tactical combat: It looks awesome btw; when I first saw a battleship firing missiles, I was amazed. It is just the way you control ships that needs to improve.

Ship movement feels clunky, there should be a more tactical way to fight, otherwise you can just simulate. Even in "formation" smaller ships are sacrificing cause they are way faster.

auto build: There could be "settings" to have influence of what is prioritised or a way to save your own build order. That is actually too similar to MoO 2 so far :D On the bright side you can pick a few manually and go on with auto build.

It just wants to start with defensive buildings all the time.

Terry_Watts #7 Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Ensign

• Players

Why everyone likes moo2 over the others I do'nt figure?

in moo2 everything was same ships  etc boring..

Moo1 atleast you had different shapes colours and desingns

Moo2/3 I bought but moo3 was unplayerable,

my 2 c worth!

BraggiMoO #8 Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

View Postgurocat, on 05 March 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

I really like this change. It elegantly simplifies a bunch of micromanagement, and turns farmers from being little more than a source of cash to being more equal among the pops. The "depth" you guys are remembering was a PITA.

And yes the unfinished game we're playing is unfinished. Great observation.

MoO 2 foodmanagement was spanning the empire. This gave a whole lot of options when expanding, I have to agree with the first posters.

Food never really was a serious source of cash (too low productivity); the challenge was to free population from sustain tasks for production and research.

Here it's build food, rinse & repeat for each planet over and over.

PITA micromanagement? At game start constant adjustment was only needed to optimise population use, if you had diverse planets or didn't trust the automatic pop assignment.

Same as here. Doesn't really hit the mark. This MoO has quite a few examples of PITA micromanagement, e.g. the settler-gone-spacefactories civ mechanics.

As to the last sentence: developers repeated over and over that core concepts are now working - in their opinion. So here's the time and place to voice differing opinions.

View Postreplica8, on 07 March 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Most ppl only wanted to have Mo2 back with better graphics. Just keep playing it. Here you have to be open for something new. If you give it a try you will have so many nostalgic feelings while playing. It's really nice. AND managing the population isn't really less complex. The key aspects are just different. The need of freithers is gone and ppl don't starve but you have to care more about pollution and getting population growth. Also Spying and more isn't implemented yet.

Using the same names for different concepts is part of the problem. It confuses old players drawn to the brand. Sadly also confuses developers who copy parts of the old solutions (race traits &costs anyone?) without realising these interfere with the changed mechanics.

You're right, it's nice and accessible if you play as intended by developers; way more to do initially than in MoO pre- and post-warp. Mass market, like the WoW leveling phase or a free-to-play game.

The challenge is to enthuse the core players. What is left after the basic game becomes repetitive and boring?

Exploring on my own, I could win MoO 2 reliably on impossible and thought I was a good player. With a still living community, long time after this, I discovered tons of stuff I missed. Turns to win? Could be halved. Extreme, diverse strategies? Blitz, production, tech rush - even diplo on impossible, were all valid.

Here there are so many straightjackets slamming doors shut - and production & food are among them. Currently I have to agree with ottonI. Small universes and war aside, the best strategy is currently simply expansion.

EDIT: The nice thing about the MoO 2 empire food was, that you were less dependent on planet quality discovered. A few top notch planets always make a difference, but in the old system we could cope better with chance.

Edited by BraggiMoO, 15 June 2016 - 08:35 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users