Redefining the Psilons

Psilons Creative is dead?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kr_mel #1 Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

Ensign

• Players

According to the information available at this time is seems like the tech tree is seeing major changes. I do not want to discuss if that is a good or a bad thing, but... I wonder what the new defining characteristic of the Psilons is going to be now that Creative does not seem like a thing anymore (if there is a tech tree for everyone without choice along the way, what should an ability do that just stopped you from having to make a choice).

They could still be better researchers, however the Alkari sort of had that going for them, too (plus being good pilots) and others were also better than average in this regard, like the filthy ap.... I mean humans, making that sort of less of an unique strength.

Any thoughts or speculation on that matter?

VMetalic #2 Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
Why they cant be the best researchers? They can advance along the way more faster than anyone else. Psilons always had a massive research bonuses.

Kr_mel #3 Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

Ensign

• Players
That is not what I meant. Sure, they could be the best reseachers, but others have been pretty good in that regard too (plus bringing other interesting things to the table) so I wonder if just being the "fastest researcher" is really what they used to be about and in a way will be enough to make them stand out in the crowd.

VMetalic #4 Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

View PostKr_mel, on 25 August 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

That is not what I meant. Sure, they could be the best reseachers, but others have been pretty good in that regard too (plus bringing other interesting things to the table) so I wonder if just being the "fastest researcher" is really what they used to be about and in a way will be enough to make them stand out in the crowd.

No. While others are good researchers, Psilons always were "the best". In MoO2 they were the only ones with Creative trait, which enabled them to research all technologies in one field, unlike others who could only research one tech, and Klackons who had no hand in choosing one tech. Not sure how Psilons worked in MoO1, but I suppose it was by having boost into research, since from some reviews it was saying that "playing against Psilons is really tough" since technology was always on their side.

No reason in changing that. If you take that away, Psilons are nothing, sicne they tend to have smaller empires.

Arent11 #5 Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:16 AM

Ensign

• Players

View PostVMetalic, on 29 August 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

No. While others are good researchers, Psilons always were "the best". In MoO2 they were the only ones with Creative trait, which enabled them to research all technologies in one field, unlike others who could only research one tech, and Klackons who had no hand in choosing one tech. Not sure how Psilons worked in MoO1, but I suppose it was by having boost into research, since from some reviews it was saying that "playing against Psilons is really tough" since technology was always on their side.

No reason in changing that. If you take that away, Psilons are nothing, sicne they tend to have smaller empires.

In Moo 1 the psilons were "good" in all research areas and could "jump ahead" some technologies in the tech list. Other species had specific tech areas in which they were "very good" or "poor". The "creative" trait in Moo2 was in fact a significant change from moo1 psilons.

Regarding other species, in Moo1 humans were good diplomats & not necessarily good researchers & alkari were just good pilots without artifacts.

Seablaze #6 Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

Ensign

• Players

I think the best way to emulate previous versions of the Psilons would be to have an alternate tech tree 'web' for races with the Creative Trait - basically, they can research key advanced technologies without having certain prerequisites that other races require, in addition to a per-Scientist research bonus.

I still think I prefer the MoO2 system, where a creative race invested heavily in getting all advancements when other races needed to make difficult choices, as the Psilons had a very weak early-game to compensate. I think the Creative perk was overvalued, however, and an early economic or military advantage could often outstrip a technological advantage, with a large Empire being able to beat a Creative empire through strength of numbers - whether in population or fleet size.

NLxAROSA #7 Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
Now that we're a few days in let's revamp this discussion. Creative is definitely in, but there are a few technologies that it does not apply to (mostly ship related stuff). Haven't really found out why it's for those specific technologies, didn't seem to be a great disadvantage either way.
Hello, Commander.

Hardes13 #8 Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Players

The Moo 2 Creative was overpowered, I don´t know if thats still the case... Anywhay, I think choosing what to research is a good mechanism, and now the psylons don´t cheat^^.

they are awesome in research now, no one else gets those bonuses...

Plus don´t forget the link in style to Mars Attacks

Perhaps if the races get some specialitys the psylons can get abduction? (teleporting a Colonist from a Planet with stealth ships... Cows would be better but there are no cows, right?)

NAKNAK WE COME IN PEACE

Just one more turn....

Setsiel #9 Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Ensign

• Players

Greetings,

While the game seems to become an adequate successor of the original game, I cannot understand the decision to rename the race of the Psilon to "Psilonier". The new name sound really bad and weird. If the reason was that the plural -s is less common in german then just call them "Psilon" in singular and plural. This would be far better than an unnecessary complicated name from which only the german version of the game would have to suffer.

Nochmals in deutscher Sprache:

Grüße,

Während das Spiel ein würdiger Nachfolger des ursprünglichen Spiels sein scheint, kann ich jedoch nicht verstehen warum man sich dazu entschlossen hat der Rasse der Psilons im Deutschen den Namen "Psilonier" zu geben. De neue Name klingt wirklich schlecht und seltsam. Falls der Grund für die Namensänderung das für die deutsche Spracje untypischer Plural -s sein sollte, empfehle ich die Rasse schlicht "Psilon" in Singular und Plural zu bezeichnen. Dies würde weitaus besser klingen und auch nicht derartig kompliziert, zudem ist die deutsche Version des Spiels die einzige, welche unter dieser neuen Fassung zu leiden hat.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
ein hoffnungsvoller Psilon-Spieler

Sincerely and full of hope,
a Psilon-Player

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users