Should the game be released as is?

Should MOO MOO:CTS MOO4 be released as is

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the game be released as is? (9 members have cast votes)

Should the game be released as is?

1. Yes, I am happy with the direction this project is headed. (Fix minor bugs and release the game on time) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No, I think the game needs some minor changes to get back on track (a few months) (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. No, I think the game needs a major overhaul and major features added before release (push back the release date a year) (6 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. Other, please discuss below. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Mikko_M #1 Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Players
So what do you think? (The same poll been taken currently on the North American forums of the game.)

moozone #2 Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Ensign

• Players

Do we have a date for release? If it's in the near future, then an additional year may be needed. There are some major shortcomings still in the game and based on the development speed during the last couple of months, it may take a year to fix these.

This is the BIG issue that needs to be done....

1. Tactical battle needs to be fixed

- Select weapons and targets for individual weapons.

- Choose when to fire selected weapons - I mean a "FIRE" -button with an Auto-fire-when-ready option.

- Scan ships and their specifications like armor points, shields, weapons, beam defense, missile defense, etc. both your own and enemy ships 

- UI improvements to make all selections and ranges more clear and visible

- Why unlimited ammo for missiles??

...to begin with).

These are more minor but still IMPORTANT

2. General UI is still slow, individual colony management needs improvements, empire screen needs improvements, ...

3. Ships should be upgraded in colony building queue (and bought there if necessary) NOT just by buying

4. Starlanes... Well they are bearable but you should be able to travel freely (but slower?)

5. Colony bases (for colonizing planets inside the same system)

6. Heroes (Fighter pilots and colony leaders, ...)

7. Elerians and other additional races

The current game is a simple colony building - empire expanding slot machine that looks nice.

Without proper battle it's far from a strategy game and it's predecessors (MOO2 in particular).

With a proper battle and a few other changes this game could be a legendary addition to the MOO family!

Roo_Stercogburn #3 Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Lieutenant

• Players
The planet building/management side has been good enough for a while, even though tweaks have been getting applied all along. My main concern was tactical combat, which before the last EA release was utterly terrible. Last EA I would have said it was ok, nothing inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays as of the patch I downloaded last night. It will be about a week realistically before I have any useful feedback on tactical.

Roo_Stercogburn #4 Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Players

Had a few small battles with tactical combat now.

Meh.

It pretty much works so can be argued its in a releasable state.

Is it good? No. Its. Just. Not. Engaging. Its the turd stuck on the shoe of an otherwise decent game. A turn-based 3D battle would be much better and a pretty unique experience in a 4X - have the battle area be a large cube with ships moving in 3 dimensions each turn. Leave the lame RTS attempt to companies better able to do it. I realise that the devs are too far down the line with this design choice but this is where the game is going to get utterly hammered in reviews. Its dull, clunky, not very strategic, not very action-y. The worst of all worlds. Looks pretty until you have a lot of ships and then its just some tetris-like geometric shapes blundering around on the screen.

Planet management is pretty slick for the most part. 'Upgrade All' implemented for ship design, for which I'm very grateful.

Save Games is still 20 years old. Can't just click on a savegame and overwrite it, have to remember what you called a previous save or use the stupid default naming convention and end up with savegame spam on the 'load game' screen. Seriously clunky, not slick or professional, the kind of thing I'd expect from an indy game written by a lone dev working in his mum's basement.

No Antarans. Lose some points on the final score there. If being held back for DLC then that is quite infuriating and very cheeky. However, given how terrible space combat is, not sure its worth the effort of including.

No rally points. Lose some points there too. This is very aggravating late in the game when making a lot of troop transports.

If this is the final release version, then I can't give a score of more than 6.5 or so out of 10, with many points knocked off for the pretty much unforgivable space combat. If space combat was decent, it would probably rank 8 or more out of 10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users